Enfield Chamber Orchestra was founded in 1942 by Jack Hickford and previous conductors have included Grace Rossiter, Amanda Denley, Stephen Bingham, Stuart Donaldson, Andy Meyers, David Littaur and Peter Broadbent.
A number of distinguished soloists have performed with the orchestra including Steven Isserlis, Jack Brymer, Elena Duran, Alfredo Campoli, Philip Jones and Malcolm Messiter and we are delighted also to be able to give opportunities to young up-and-coming soloists, especially from the local North London and Enfield area.
We have introduced many new works to the public, including a number of compositions by our patron, Frank Bayford.
To all in EChO,
May I thank everyone concerned for that wonderful premiere of my 'Berceuses Tristes' at your recent concert? I was very impressed by the playing and interpretation; a lot of good work must have gone into the rehearsals and for that I am most grateful. EChO goes from strength to strength!
With my warm good wishes,
Yours sincerely, Frank Bayford
EChO Patron and local composer Frank Bayford
Past concerts have included performances of
- Bach: Brandenburg concerto No.4
- Bayford: Elegia Atlantica Op.54. Aubades, with Cloudscapes, Op.108 (first performance), Symphony Op.109 (first performance), Symphony: Berceuses Tristes, Op.111 (first performance)
- Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8; Piano Concerto No.3 (soloist - YaYi Tian); Violin Concerto (soloist - Richard Blayden) Leonora Overture no. 3
- Bizet: Suite from L'Arlesienne; Jeux d'Enfants
- Borodin: Nocturne
- Brahms: Symphony No 2
- Bruch: Violin Concerto (soloist – Anna Harpham)
- Debussy: Petite Suite
- Dvorak: Symphony No.8; Three Legends from Op.59 (Nos. 5, 6 & 7); Violin Concerto (soloist Amber Emson)
- Faure: Requiem (with Enfield Choral Society)
- Glazunov: Serenade No.2
- Grieg: Piano concerto in A minor (soloist Gabriele Sutkute)
- Gunning: Spring Winds
- Haydn: Symphonies No. 7 (Le Midi),99, 100 (Military)and 101 (The Clock), Trumpet Concerto (soloist - Peter Desmond)
- Humperdinck: Hansel & Gretel Overture
- Jacob: Old WIne in New Bottles
- Krommer: Oboe Concerto No. 2 (soloist - Joel Wilson)
- Mahler: Symphonic movement,Blumine, Three songs from Des Knaben Wunderhorn (soloist - Giulia Laudano)
- Mendelssohn: Symphonies No. 1 and 3 (Scottish) & 4 (Italian), Incidental Music to Midsummer Night's Dream, Overture - Ruy Blas
- Mozart: Symhonies Nos. 31 (Paris), 35 (Haffner) and 40, Idomeneo Overture, Piano Concerto K 453 (soloist – Sarah Down), Clarinet Concerto (soloist - Rebecca Teager), Concerto for Flute and Harp (soloists - Jessica Wilkes (flute) & Rosanna Rolton (harp)), Two arias from The Marriage of Figaro (soloist - Giulia Laudano), Violin Concerto No.4 (soloist - Gabriella Bavetta), Horn concerto No.2, K.417 (soloist - Alice Warburton)
- Prokofiev: Classical Symphony
- Puccini: Messa di Gloria (with Enfield Choral Society)
- Rossini: Overture - The Silken Ladder
- Schubert: Symphony No.6
- Schumann: Piano Concerto (soloist - Aleksander Myslek), Cello Concerto (soloist - Tim Posner), Symphony no. 4 in D minor
- Tchaikovsky: Variations on a Rococo Theme for cello and Orchestra (soloist - Jessica Burroughs); Symphony No.2 ("Little Russian"); Nutcracker Suite; Suite No.1, Op.43
- Weber: Bassoon Concerto (soloist - Josh Wilson)
- and works by Butterworth, Delius, Faure, Ravel, Saint-Saens, Vivaldi, and many others!
"The Enfield Chamber Orchestra gave Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony a stunning performance, with a particularly stirring (and, indeed, scary) account of the thunder storm in the fourth movement. One can well imagine how its first audience in 1808 would have been completely wowed by it!"